For any who might be trying to keep up with the Princeton Seminary‘s Reading Schedule for Calvin’s Institutes, here’s a helpful tip for how to download the .mp3 recorded readings for listening away from the computer.
- Log in to Google Reader. If you have ever signed up for any of Google’s free services (gmail, picasaweb, etc.) then you already have a Google account that should work for Reader. If you haven’t, you can create one for free.
- Once logged into Google Reader, click on the button that says “Add a Subscription”.
- Copy+Paste http://www2.ptsem.edu/ConEd/calvin/rss/ and click ‘Add’.
- If you click on “A Year With the Institutes”, you should be able to use the scroll bar to access all of the Institutes readings, back to the the beginning of the year. (Sub-tip 4a: Make sure you click “Show: all items” in the upper-leftish area, not just “new items”)
- If you open any of those posts (click on the summary bar for that post), you will see the book/chapter/sections for that reading in a bold blue font, which is directly linked to the .mp3 for that reading (the name of the .mp3 file is the date of the reading). Right-click on it, and you can save it to your own computer. From that point, hopefully you know how to get it onto your iPod or other .mp3 player.
If you don’t want to create a Google account, you can use this account:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Password: calvinrocks
Then go to step 4 above.